Thursday, June 4, 2015

My translation of Alexey Mozgovoy's poem No. 4

Past reproach we aren’t meant to stay
Even with a life led as if it was two.
Yet of the Volga as a soul I dream,
So calm as the grass green peace.

And can’t granite’s sthrength be mine as well?
And could people find their steel in me?
Yet with a heart in which loving lives
Let me remain sincere and open.

Not cruel, but so fair let me be,
Let me learn compassion and how
To heal – let the untruth disown me,
Yet don’t let the lies go by unseen.

Sorry, that ideal is out of reach.
But let us live one life at least
And so be true as long as love
Will fill our mortal striving.

***

Безупречным бы стать, не на долго.
Ну, хотя бы так, жизни на две.
Чтоб широким душою как Волга!
Но спокойным, как шёпот в траве.


Что бы твёрже был даже гранита.
Что бы звался в народе - "кремень"!
Но для чувства, чтоб сердце открыто,
Было настежь, хоть в ночь или день.


Справедливым быть, но не жестоким,
Милосердным! Но знать всему край.
От неправды быть очень далёким,
Но и с ложью знакомым, пускай.


Жаль, не стать ни когда идеальным,
Да и жизнь-то, одну хоть прожить...
Быть собою, плохим но реальным.
Раздражать, уходить но любить...

No comments:

Post a Comment