Monday, December 29, 2014

When it comes to the Empire's and Ukraine's Fascism and FEMEN, Sylvia Plath Is Relevant and Comes Handy Again

The fact that FEMEN, the quite popular form of late feminism, unhesitatingly sides with the Nazi regime in Kiev (even cheering up on the murderous mobs massacring people in Odessa on May 2), reminds me of the curious case the American poetess Sylvia Plath who, both tapping into a new political and cultural (under)current and projecting herself and her personal experience with her abusive father, wrote that "every woman adores a fascist."

The line comes from one of her last poems (before she put her head into an oven only some four months after writing this poem, which mixes hate with adoration), Daddy. Much of the pathology of US political turn as much as the current pathology of Ukrainian politics together with its bizarre and vulgar "feminism" is there; also note the Orwellian allusion "the boot in the face":

...

Chuffing me off like a Jew.
A Jew to Dachau, Auschwitz, Belsen.
I began to talk like a Jew.
I think I may well be a Jew.

...
I have always been scared of you,
With your Luftwaffe, your gobbledygoo.
And your neat mustache
And your Aryan eye, bright blue.
Panzer-man, panzer-man, O You--

Not God but a swastika
So black no sky could squeak through.
Every woman adores a Fascist,
The boot in the face, the brute
Brute heart of a brute like you.

You stand at the blackboard, daddy,
In the picture I have of you,
A cleft in your chin instead of your foot
But no less a devil for that, no not
Any less the black man who

...
I made a model of you,
A man in black with a Meinkampf look

And a love of the rack and the screw.
And I said I do, I do.
...
The vampire who said he was you
And drank my blood for a year,
...
There’s a stake in your fat black heart
...
They always knew it was you.
Daddy, daddy, you bastard, I’m through.
12 October 1962

No comments:

Post a Comment